This is a drill for improving quickness and agility in defensive lateral acceleration/deceleration, in combination with sprint dribbling into a pullup jumpshot. It is intended to emphasize game speed movements while incorporating an anaerobic conditioning element. With the addition of one or two change of the direction components to the attack dribble sequence, game speed ball handling may be added to the work load.
- Player 1 begins in a defensive stance facing the chair with the ball.
- Player 1 starts drill with 2 defensive lateral push-slides to the left toward the other chair.
- At point A, Player 1 accelerates into a defensive lateral run to point B, then decelerates with 2 push-slides to the chair.
- Now Player 1 changes directions and accelerates with 2 defensive lateral push-slides in the return direction.
- At point C, Player 1 accelerates into a defensive lateral run to point D, then decelerates with 2 push-slides, picks the ball up from the chair, turns the corner and executes a 1 dribble pull-up jumpshot on the perimeter behind the 3-point line.
- If more than one player is doing the drill, the next player puts a ball in the chair and executes the same sequence.
- The next rep is the same sequence, but ends with a 2-dribble pull-up jumpshot down the perimeter behind the 3-point line.
- The third rep sequence ends with a 3-dribble pull-up jumpshot down the perimeter to the corner behind the 3-point line.
- At this point, free throws may be taken if the drill is being executed by just one player.
- Now the drill is repeated on left side by swiching the ball to the opposite chair.
- Continue with 2nd rep on left side..
- Finish with 3rd rep on left side.
- This completes a full cycle of the drill.
- Add crossover for change of direction on the perimeter into pull-up jumper after initial dribble attack..
- Add another crossover for second change of direction on the perimeter into pull-up jumper..
Send to your FastDraw library or email to a friend.
Email to a friend.