The biggest trend in player development these days in adding in the decision making component where players develop being able to make decisions before they catch the basketball. I have been using BDT in my workouts this fall and you can see where players struggle to be decisive.
In this 1v1 drill, we put the player in a game situation relocating to receive a pass from a weak side drive. The player only has 2 options; catch and shoot or attack the closeout ensuring they have to be shot ready on the catch. The players are given a 3-dribble maximum to hold them accountable to use the bounce with a purpose.
Over time, you start to see players become more comfortable making a decision before the catch. Give it a try!
- Player 1 starts on the right wing with the ball.
- Player 2 starts behind the cone that is parallel with the middle hash mark on the left side.
- Player x2 starts on the left side block
- The drill is initiated with player 1 attacking downhill to the baseline side.
- Player 2 has the option to drift to the corner (blue) or lift up higher on the wing (red).
- Player 1 will make the pass to player 2 either in the corner (blue) or on the wing (red).
- As player 1 makes the pass to player 2, x2 will closeout to the corner or the wing (green).
Send to your FastDraw library or email to a friend.
Email to a friend.