Having players that can knock down shots is obviously a huge advantage for any team. The more players a team has that are high percentage shooters, the better that team will be on the offensive end of the floor. It's not just about making the shots when they are wide open, but also being able to make shots without being distracted by a defender attempting to run a shooter off the 3pt line. This drill is a great way to add that defensive element to make your shooting drills more game-like for players. Emphasize focus on the basket and not thinking twice with a defender closing out. Give it a try!
Check out Mike's #FastModelTakeover Twitter Moment for an inside look at the life of a pro skills trainer and some awesome player development content!
- Player 1 starts with the ball at the free throw line.
- Player 2 starts parallel with player 1 spaced out free throw line extended.
- The drill is initiated with player 1 passing the ball to coach.
- Once the ball is pass to coach, player 1 is sprinting below the cone to try and run player 2 off the 3 point line preventing them from a rhythm 3.
- As the ball is passed, player 2 is drifting to the corner being shot ready.
- The ONLY shot the player can shoot is a catch & shoot 3
- If the player makes the shot, they stay on offense.
- First player to make 4 3's.
- Play with no shot fake and just has to be a rhythm catch & shoot 3.
- Play with shot fake w/ no dribble.
- Play with shot fake w/ side step using 1 dribble.
- Play with 1 dribble to score vs. the defender running the shooter off the line.
Same rules apply putting the players in a different position and situation. Frames 2 & 3 are added ways to play this small sided game.
Send to your FastDraw library or email to a friend.
Email to a friend.