Top 5-ranked NC State women's basketball is turning into a top 15 team each season under head coach Wes Moore. In this early offense ball screen, the guard drag dribbles off it forcing a numbers advantage for the offense. The defense has also been stretched and has to cover a lot of space to get back in the play.
*New customers use code SAVE10 for 10% OFF Draw/Scout*
23 High Drag Screen
Drag ball screens are designed to drag a defense in a direction opposite of the area of the floor you are trying to score.
There is all sorts of terminology but I think drag dribble work well against teams that double ball screens or hard hedge forcing the ball handler to go away from the rim while the defender getting screened and get over top the screen. The ball handler will occupy 2 defenders while the screener cuts to the open are of the floor. Now the offense has the advantage playing 4on 3.
1. The green area highlights the drag screen with the ball handler occupying 2 defenders.
2.The yellow highlight shows the area the 4 will look to roll.
3. The defense 3 defenders off the ball are in their help spots.
1. The ball still in 3's hands. x1 is in position to take away the roll to the rim. x5 and x2 may stay put or shade slightly towards their man.
2. Right now the fill spot would for the 4 to cut to the left wing.
1. The 3 to 5 pass puts x1 in a vulnerable spot. x1 has to make a decision to stay put or start rotating to the corner guard.
2. For the sake of the diagram and play. The 3 help defenders move on "air time" towards their man.
3. The 4 sees x1 rotate and starts to fill the scoring area. The ball has to pop so on 5 catch he can quickly make the pass to 4 while the defenders our rotating to their man and x4 is chasing the 4 cutting.
Send to your FastDraw library or email to a friend.
Email to a friend.